Rich and Flavorful Homemade Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms of your choice such as cremini, shiitake, or button
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream or coconut milk optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped parsley or thyme for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the butter or olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes or until they release their liquid and are tender.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- If desired, stir in the heavy cream or coconut milk.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup in batches to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley or thyme, if desired.
Note: You can also add other ingredients like potatoes, or rice to make it more hearty and filling.