Hearty and Nutritious Homemade Lentil Soup
- 1 cup green or brown lentils rinsed and picked over
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups of water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: diced tomatoes chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the cumin and coriander and cook for another minute.
- Add the lentils and water or vegetable stock to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- If desired, stir in diced tomatoes.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot and garnish with cilantro or parsley, if desired.
Note: You can also add other ingredients like potatoes, or rice to make it more hearty and filling.