Hearty and Comforting Homemade Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken or 2-3 pounds of chicken parts breasts, thighs, drumsticks
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 8 cups of water or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped parsley or thyme for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, place the chicken and cover with the water or chicken stock. Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Skim any foam that rises to the top of the pot during the first few minutes of cooking.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Simmer the soup for 1-2 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred or chop it.
- Return the meat to the pot and discard the bones.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Simmer the soup for another 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley or thyme, if desired.
Note: You can also add other ingredients like noodles, potatoes, or rice to make it more hearty and filling.