Classic Fish Pie with a Creamy Sauce
- -1 lb mixed fish fillets such as salmon, cod, and haddock
- -1/2 lb potatoes peeled and diced
- -1/4 cup butter
- -1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- -1 1/2 cups milk
- -1 small onion finely chopped
- -1 bay leaf
- -1/4 cup frozen peas
- -1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- -1 egg beaten
- -Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with 1/4 cup of butter.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaf, then add the fish, peas and parsley. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a pie dish and top with mashed potatoes. Brush the top with beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let it cool for few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Note: you can use only one type of fish if you don’t like mixed fish.